Sunday 28 February 2016

Slow Down



Does this sound familiar? Do you recognize these thoughts deep down in your own heart, too?

losing my joy
missing out
not enjoying my life
consumed by my to-do list
multi-tasking
how do you do it all
Well SHE's a super-mom, what's wrong with me, why can't I do it all?

I heard a broadcast today that really caused me to listen, and to actually slow down and LISTEN in my heart.

I work full-time, and I also have my own home business making jewelry. Last year I was given the opportunity to do custom orders so I gave it a try. Things were going well and I was making a dent in some outstanding debt. Things got very busy as the type of jewelry I was making got very popular and orders were coming in very quickly.

These two Scriptures would come to mind as I was driving myself to keep doing more and more and more:

 "I can do all things through Christ." and "With Christ all things are possible."

What a big deception! This is taking these Scriptures so out of context! I was trying to accomplish these things, but it wasn't necessarily what God was asking of me.

Matthew 19:26
Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." NIV

What this is talking about is that man cannot be saved because of anything he does, but because of what Christ has done for us. It is talking about being saved, not about doing things that seem impossible to man, but are possible with God.

Philippians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.NKJV

What this is talking about is being content in all situations, good and bad, because Christ gives you strength. It is not talking about being able to accomplish whatever you set out to.

I had set goals I couldn't possibly accomplish. All I accomplished was wearing myself out physically and I still did not complete all that I was trying to.

What DID I accomplish?

I was EXHAUSTED and I was not able to meet the goals I set for myself. On top of that I developed a health condition that required a lot of rest and medications and it took a long time to heal. I had to totally remove myself from the tasks I was trying to finish and just rest.

Now? My debt is still there. I am asking God for His direction and listening for it. I am so thankful for His mercy and grace and healing.

My advice? Slow down. Pray and ask for God's direction about YOUR to-do list and LISTEN for it. Spend time in prayer and stay close to Him. When you stay close to Him you don't get pulled away by a lot of distractions.

If you would like to listen to the broadcast too, here is the link:
http://radio.focusonthefamily.ca/broadcasts/overcoming-distractions-to-connect-with-your-family-part-1-of-2

P.S. I love this line from the broadcast: "My child can't kiss a moving target."

No comments:

Post a Comment